Sunday, May 15, 2011

Longtail Bravery

Chris commented a few days ago about my cycling evolution the past year.  I suppose my mentality toward cycling started changing a year ago, but I think the majority of the change has happened since I got the Ute.  I suspect my change is ultimately because I have the convenience of being able to haul kids, groceries and other necessities by bike.

Loading up for a trip to Golden
I also think it's because I'm getting a little dose of bravery when it comes to exploring my neighborhood.  I have traveled the roads enough to know how to get where I need to go and survive the detours if I take a wrong turn.  I've started picking Boone up by bike in the afternoons from school.  It's 18ish miles round trip so it would be tough to do twice a day, with kids.  I have elected to load Boone's bike in the subaru in the mornings and then ride up with Lily to grab him.  It works nicely because he is only having to ride 9 miles and most of it is down hill.  The first week I attempted it, we got more than 50 miles in on the bike.  Awesome.  Last week I only got one trip in.  We had rain!  Can you believe it?  Rain for days!  No rides.  It was sad, but we're back at it tomorrow and we're all pretty happy about the prospect.  

I think this step has been a good one.  There is a certain contentment that comes with using the bikes as our primary mode of transport.  

No comments:

Post a Comment